Prep: 30-35 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time 1.5 hrs.
Servings 8-10 people
Approx.- 320 calories per serving
Hungarian plum dumplings can be eaten as a dessert, or as a main dish. You can use leftover potatoes or cook fresh. What a great way to make dessert the main meal your family will love.
- 3 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg yolk , lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour or more up to 31/2 cups until dough is not sticky.
- Fresh pitted plums cut into ¼ pcs approx. 8-10 plums
- 1 stick (115g) butter
- 11/2 cups of very fine bread crumbs
- ¼ cup cinnamon sugar for bread crump coating.
- 1 tsp of cinnamon for the plums(optional)
- Vanilla Sugar to taste for plums(optional)
Gather all ingredients.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the potatoes, for about 15 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- Drain and mash potato in a bowl. Let cool before next step.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and 1 tablespoon salt to the cooled mashed potatoes. Mix well.
- Start adding the flour, gradually, until you form a soft pliable dough. You are looking for a smooth non sticky texture.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth and firm. Form a round ball and divide into two balls
- Wrap dough balls in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins. This is an optional step
- Working with one dough piece at a time, roll it out to ⅓ inch thick and cut into even squares.2×2 inch squares.
- Wash each plum and cut into quarters. For additional sweetness or flavour you can roll the plum in a bowl with some cinnamon and or vanilla sugar to coat. A plum’s natural sweetness will intensify when cooked.
- Place ¼ of each plum into the center of each square. Fold the dough in around the plum and seal the edges. Form a ball. Repeat with all the remaining dough.
- Carefully drop the dough balls individually into boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- They will rise to the top when done. Remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all the dumplings are in the water
- Melt the butter in a large skillet add in bread crumbs and brown till golden
- Remove from heat and add in the cinnamon sugar mixture to the breadcrumbs.
- Roll the dumplings into the breadcrumb mixture coating evenly and enjoy.
- Add more sugar and cinnamon if you like, serve warm.
These freeze well in the before-cook stage so you can take advantage of the plum season. Just roll out the dough, make your dumplings, freeze on baking sheet so they do not stick together and bag for later.
When you are ready to cook them, thaw and boil water and wait till the dumplings float and follow the steps for the recipe above.